Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Shack


This break I had the chance to finish a book my grandfather had given me for Christmas that I had convinced him to read. Many of my friends were reading "The Shack" by, William P, Young. It is theological fiction and as such you expect some strong religious convictions to be questioned. They were for me. I can't agree with the quote on the front of the book that this is this generation's "Pilgrim Progress" but it does move you to think and causes you to review your relationship with God the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit. In fact the main subject of the book is this man Mack's weekend with the Trinity. It starts out a little slow in my opinion but after all I am of the Movie and TV generation but as you get deeper it really catches you. "The Great Sadness" is the abduction of Mack's youngest daughter and later horrible murder. I found the most intriguing part of the book was that the author chose to have the place of this families nightmare "The Shack" where Missy was murdered is where Mack begins an amazing relationship with God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. I love the theme of forgiveness and healing that runs through the entire book. I do not agree with the authors opinion of submission. But it made me examine my relationship with God and that is always a good thing. If you want to be challenged read this book.

No comments:

OUR DOG

OUR DOG