Friday, November 11, 2011

My American Hero on 11-11-11

My Grandfather is 96 years old.  That in itself is an accomplishment.  However, in these Golden Years he has been working on his memoirs and I have had the privilege of helping him go through his pictures.  Before he was my age he had already lived an incredible life.  It was during this time that I want to share about today.

In 1944 Tracy Strong (aka My Grandpa) was serving our country in the second World War.  He was also a seminary student in Seattle, Washington.  He has never told me why he never became a minister later in life but I would guess that this along with many other experience he had during this time may hold the answer. 

Last weekend he had me scan in the pictures below and in them I discovered that my Grandfather over saw the funeral of 42 American Air men who where shot down over Europe.  The funeral service was in Switzerland on neutral soil.  He didn't say much about it except that he didn't want me to scan in a letter written to one of the solder's family back home.  "To personal." Those were his words.


My only words are......"Thank YOU."

No comments:

OUR DOG

OUR DOG