Saturday, November 22, 2008

Making Bread With Preschoolers

Our Jayden is blessed to have two preschool teachers (Miss Kim and Miss Karalee) that are both fabulous. I feel so lucky to be able to have my child in the finest early education program around. Not to mention the incredible staff (ha, ha). Okay, I am lucky to get to know what my child is doing everyday and be apart of his learning experience. Anyway, our newest unit is Bring in the Harvest. It has been interesting to say the least. Kids today think food honestly just comes from the store. In Miss Kim's class Jayden has made mini apple pies and real applesauce just to name a few things. The biggest goal has been to help the kids see that what is in the can or jar at the store comes from someone's garden or field.

To really tell this right I need to give some background. Every summer since Kimberly was a tiny baby we have gone to "the farm" to pick raspberries, can jam, make pickles, etc. The farm is actually about two miles from my house and is owned by my dearest friends the Smithers. Denise teaches second grade at Washington in Caldwell and Smithers (Jim, I just can't seem to call him that since he was my eight grade computers teacher) works with computers and any kind of electronics you can think of (he has an electric car!). They have two grown girls that I used to babysit (trust me I was only 5 at the time hee, hee). Their "farm" is a great place for kids to really understand that food comes from the earth and hard work. This last summer was no exception. Despite the fact that their family was busy getting ready for the wedding of their daughter Ashley, Denise still made the time to have us over for a day of hot jars and fun conversation. She also got a wild hair with a flat of strawberries and we decided to make freezer jam for the first time. It was great!!! Then she casually says, "YOU should make this with your Prekindergarten Kids!" I laughed and thought, that would be cool for J week and go right along with Harvest. Then the actual week arrived.......all I can say is we did it!


Now, the following week was last week and Jayden's teacher Miss Karalee invited my kids to come watch her make wheat bread....How perfect since they watched us make jam the week before, we had to put it together! Unlike the little red hen, the kids were learning about, both classes had a ball working and sharing together. Jayden was even the "snack man" that day so it will be an experience he won't soon forget.

The kids all enjoyed every minute and could hardly wait their turn to drop the wheat into the grinder. I just wanted to say....thanks Denise for the great idea and THANKS so much Karalee for the amazing experience!!! You are both great teachers!! I also want to really thank Miss Robin my terrific assistant and friend for letting me embarrass her with this jam shot!

No comments:

OUR DOG

OUR DOG